From our Jersey Shore inspired Sunday Family Dinner. This takes a little time, but it is completely worth it! SO delish!
for the soup:
2 tsp. olive oil
½ lb mild Italian sausage
1 lb lean ground turkey
3 c. chopped onions
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 T. tomato paste
1 28-oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
6 c. lower fat, reduced sodium chicken broth
8 whole wheat lasagna noodles, broken into thirds
1/2 c. finely chopped fresh basil leaves
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
for the cheesy yum:
8 oz. fat-free ricotta
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
pinch of freshly ground pepper
2 c. shredded 2 % mozzarella cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add sausage and turkey, breaking up into bite sized pieces, and brown for about 5 minutes
- Add onions and cook until softened, about 6 minutes.
- Add garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste and stir well to incorporate. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the tomato paste turns a rusty brown color.
- Add diced tomatoes and chicken stock. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add uncooked pasta and cook until al dente. Do not over cook or let soup simmer for a long period of time at this point, as the pasta will get mushy. Stir in basil and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the cheesy yum. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, Parmesan, salt, and pepper.
- To serve, place a dollop of the cheesy yum in each soup bowl, sprinkle some of the mozzarella on top and ladle the hot soup over the cheese.